Monday, November 19, 2007

Carson Expects Bench Duty

by Danny Wright

Scott Carson belives he will be on the bench for England's make or break qualifier against Croatia on Wednesday - despite making a rare start in Friday's win over Austria.

The Aston Villa keeper kept a clean sheet in the 1-0 win in Vienna, keeping a clean sheet against a side that seldom threatened the England goal, but Carson believes Paul Robinson will be restored to the starting XI.

"I've played in big games before but I'm not thinking I'm going to be playing on Wednesday," Carson told Sky Sports News.

"I think it would be the same on Wednesday but that's down to the manager. He hasn't said anything about it yet. I don't know what's happening."

England only need a point against the Croats to qualify after Israel kept the Euro 2008 dream alive by beating Russia 2-1 on Saturday.

Although Carson is unlikely to be involved on Wednesday, the 22-year-old is happy to be involved in the international fold as he steps up his bid to replace Paul Robinson as the England Number One.

"It's whetted my appetite for international football. It has done ever since I've been in the squad. Hopefully, there will be a few more caps in the future," he added.

"But I'm very grateful for him (manager Steve McClaren) giving me my chance and hopefully I have done okay for him."

image - dailymail.co.uk

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home