Thursday, November 08, 2007

Cech Injury Blow for Blues

by Danny Wright

Chelsea will be without influential goalkeeper Peter Cech for their home clash with Everton on Sunday.

The Czech stopper will also miss his countries Euro 2008 qualifiers against Slovakia and Cyprus after he tore his right calf muscle in Chelsea's Champions League draw with Schalke 04 on Tuesday.

"I don't know exactly how it happened. I only know that I felt a pain from the 10th minute of the match," Cech told BBC Sport.

"Nevertheless I played the first half. I feel bad that I will be out right now when myself as well as my team are both doing well."

Cech had to be replaced by Carlo Cudicini at half-time, the injury coming at a bad time for manager Avram Grant who already has John Terry, Paulo Ferreira and Ashley Cole sidelined with injury.

Chelsea fans won't need reminding of the poor run of form last season that coincided with injuries to Cech and skipper Terry, a spell which severely hindered the Blues title hopes.

The 24-year-old has kept clean sheets in Chelsea's last six league and European outings, Grant no doubt eager for his star keeper to make a swift return.
image - bbc.co.uk

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home