Thursday, November 15, 2007

Carson Wants England Jersey

by Danny Wright
Liverpool goalkeeper Scott Carson has set his sights on the England number one shirt.

The 22-year-old is currently on a season long loan at Aston Villa and is eager to stake his claim for the England number one spot having being selected for tomorrow's friendly with Austria.

Current number Paul Robinson has come under fire recently for a series of high profile mistakes, something which Carson is keen to capitalise on.

"To be the England number one, that is the target. There is no point in me sitting around settling for what I've got," Carson told Sky Sports News

"I've got to try and keep climbing the ladder, work hard and hopefully I'll get my chance for England and show that I am up to standard. "

Carson is line to start in Vienna on Friday, but he stressed the competition for the jersey is strong.

"I don't think there is a big gap between all the keepers from Robert Green, Chris Kirkland, David James and Robbo. I don't think there is a massive gap," he added.

Carson started out at Leeds United where he impressed on Yorkshire before being snapped up by Liverpool in 2005 for a fee of £1m, however the Cumbrian born stopper has yet to have a lengthy spell in the side, being loaned out to Sheffield Wednesday, Charlton and Villa respectively.

image - skysports.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home