Saturday, November 17, 2007

Foster has United Doubts


by Danny Wright

Injured goalkeeper Ben Foster admits he may not play for Manchester United this season.

Foster has been out since May after rupturing his cruciate knee ligaments having return to Manchester following a successful two-year loan spell at Watford.

The 24-year-old is set to begin training again in February and admits he is unlikely to feature for United this campaign.

"It is going to be early February before I can start training with the rest of the squad again and March before I can play,” Foster told the Times.

"It is definitely something to aim for. But at this moment in time I would take anything; the reserves or a short loan spell somewhere. That would allow me to kick on next season."

Foster has enjoyed a meteoric rise since his loan-spell at Watford, impressing United manager Sir Alex Ferguson and earning an England call up for the 2006 World Cup.

Foster made his debut for England in February of this year in a 1-0 home defeat to Spain, and it could be the international fold that provides the former Stoke keeper with his comeback; should England fail to qualify for Euro 2008 a series of friendlies are in line for next summer - which could provide Foster with the perfect opportunity to stake his claim.

The Leamington-spa born stopper isn't going to jump the gun though, insisting:

"First things first. I have to force my way in at United. You can’t expect to be picked for England if you are not in your club team. "

Foster admits his time on the sidelines has been a frustrating one, adding:

"I am an awful watcher, and this whole experience has been massively frustrating for me,"

"I had a lot of expectation for what this season was going to hold for me. It is so disappointing when you are told you are going to be out for eight months.”

image - www.manunitedpies.tv/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home