Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Given Ponders Future

by Danny Wright

Newcastle goalkeeper Shay Given is looking to sort out his future at the club once he returns from international duty.

Given is currently away with the Republic of Ireland squad for Euro 2008 qualifiers against Slovakia and Czech Republic, but is eager to talk with manager Sam Allardyce about his future prospects.

"I'll have a chat with him (Allardyce). I'm not sure what his thinking is or whatever," Given told Sky Sports.

"I've gone away with Ireland so I haven't had time to sit down with him, so I'll have to do that when I get back after these games.”

The 31-year-old has spent time on the sidelines suffering from a groin injury, something which Given believes has hindered his chances on Tyneside.

"Obviously I've been out for a while with my groin and I played on Wednesday night (in the Carling Cup), so maybe he felt that it was better for me not to play on Saturday and put too much pressure on it. " he added.

Should Given play on Saturday against Slovakia he will become Ireland's most capped player with 80 appearances, breaking the record previously held by fellow stopper Packie Bonner.

image - great-save.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home