Friday, December 07, 2007

Almunia for England?


By Danny Wright

Arsenal goalkeeper Manuel Almunia has not ruled out the possibility of playing for England.

The Spaniard has yet to be capped by his native country and could play for England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland if he were granted dual nationality.

The England number one is by no means set in stone at the moment following Paul Robinson's recent form and Scott Carson's shaky debut against Croatia in Euro 2008 qualifying, meaning the prestigious jersey is well and truly up for grabs.

"If I can lend England a hand once the time comes for me to be eligible - and I want to thank the country for the support it has shown me - I don't see why I shouldn't play for them. I don't rule it out," Almunia told El Mundo.

The 30-year-old has made 19 starts for Arsenal this season, and has kept a disgruntled Jens Lehmann out of the Gunners side following the Germans’ shaky start to the season.

Alumina arrived in England three years ago from Celta Vigo and is keen to repay the affection shown towards him by helping the national side.

"I would never close the door on people who have shown me so much affection," he added.
image - football.co.uk

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home